Friday, March 17, 2006

Happy St. Patrick's Day (and pi day)!

Hope everyone has a wonderful St. Patrick's Day!

Another noteworthy day to remember in March is apparently Pi Day. I was coaching last night and one of my swimmers wished me a happy Pi Day. I looked at him blankly. He explained that Tuesday was date 3.14 (ie: pi). This isn't something us Arts and Social Science folks take into account apparently. But Wikipedia even has an entry!

Pi Day, it appears, is celebrated in a variety of ways. Parties or other observances may be held by mathematics departments. Math or science clubs might gather to consider the role that the number π has played in their lives and to imagine the world without π. During such an event, pi celebrants may devise alternative values for π, eat pie, play piñata, drink Piña Colada, eat pineapple, listen to the song "Pi" by Kate Bush, or watch Pi. The shape of the pie is sometimes square, due to the pronunciation of the equation for the surface area bounded by a circle = πr2, i.e., "pie are squared."

Enthusiasts also note that the day happens to be Albert Einstein's birthday. The renowned science and technology university Massachusetts Institute of Technology, often mails out its acceptance letters to be delivered to prospective students on Pi Day.


So there you go. We all learnt something today. I know, like me, you will all be sure to celebrate Pi Day next year. In the interim, perhaps you can have an extra cup of green tea or another green beer in its honour tonight.

On the literacy front, I discovered another Literacy News site that I had missed up until this point. Reading Rockets has a news site! I've posted about Reading Rockets before HERE and will be adding their news page to my news list.

Over at Book Buds, there is a review of George and the Dragon by Chris Wormell. I like any books about dragons - especially humourous ones - so check it out!



Fuse 8 productions had some more news on the Lemony Snickett front. Previous posting from yours truly on the issue HERE. And Canada Newswire has a release posted about a program called Ask a teacher, which may be a good reference for tutors working with high school students.

Also, new volunteer site of interest HERE that I plan to look into a bit further.

Finally, I was very upset to learn yesterday that not all Tim Hortons Roll up the Rim! cups roll up equally. Thanks to Bourque for the link.



On a separate issue - I am going to be playing around with the blog template this afternoon. Our intention for next year is to change this into a formal group blog to give the opportunity for other interested Ottawa volunteers and OT members to post as well. Hoping that may add to the "diversity of opinions and materials" on the blog. So you may see a change on the side as I try to set, at least myself up for now, as a contributor.

Cheers!

Louise

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home