Friday, March 31, 2006

Poetry Friday

So I missed this last week. Kelly over at Big A little a is initiating something called Poetry Friday because, in her opinion, kids don't read enough poetry. Thanks to Jen Robinson for drawing this to my attention.

I'm trying to think what poems I liked as a kid. My mom had a few she use to say to me all the time that I share with you here. I don't know where she got them, but I remember her repeating and repeating them. Just really silly little ones that were fun:

(clearing of throat)

I've never seen a purple cow
I never hope to see one
But I can tell you anyhow
I'd rather see than be one.

(pause for applause)

Mother, may I go out to swim?
Yes my dear! Put on a suit
And you'll look cute
But don't go near the water.

(bow and exit stage left)

Googling teaches me the first is by Gelett Burgess. This, as I understand it, was his most famous poem, which he followed up with this one:

Confession: and a Portrait Too, Upon a Background that I Rue:

Ah yes, I wrote The Purple Cow,
I'm sorry now I wrote it;
But I can tell you, anyhow,
I'll kill you if you quote it!

The second, I also learn is Mother Goose. I will also have to inform my mother that she taught it to me incorrectly. However, it is possible that I simply remember it incorrectly.

Also pausing to consider how I lived before Google.

And on a personal note, I share with you the poem "My Snowman" written by yours truly in Grade One. Bear in mind it may become valuable if I ever become famous as it is one of only two published pieces of poetry I have ever done. It was published in the Ottawa Citizen's Youth in the 80s section on March 27, 1984. I have a certificate to prove it. Both the certificate and the poem hold a place of honour in my mother's scrapbook.

My Snowman

I made a snowman in the snow.
He is fat and not too low.
I made ball one, ball two, ball three.
And then I finished him off like me.

-----

Ladies and gentlemen, my poetry submissions for this Friday. I may follow it up next week with a second entry after some more reflection.

Louise

3 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

Thanks Louise! Your own poem from first grade. It's wonderful :)

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Louise said...

Thanks Kelly!

It's nice how you remember poetry forever. I will have to double check when I'm next over at my parents house that I got all the words right - but I'm almost completely certain I did.

My brain is also chock full of dozens of songs from Girl Guides... While not poetry in the strictess sense, it may form the base of a future poetry-themed post.

Louise

 
At 11:55 PM, Anonymous Jen Robinson said...

Hi Louise,

I love the Purple Cow poem! I can completely understand why you remember it from your childhood!

Have a great week!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home