Tuesday, April 11, 2006

And miles to go before I sleep

So I spent some time yesterday surfing through some of the other entries over at the Blog Carnival on Semicolon. Came across this one on Bartography that brought back memories of Grade 10 English Class. Anyone else out there wince at any reference to Robert Frost? Chris Barton, whose blog I have yet to add to my list of frequently visited sites, but that I do check out from time to time, entertainingly describes how he use to re-cycle Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening for school presentations for years. My memory of the poem is months spent teasing out every possible hidden meaning in it in high school English. Well before the end I had some suggestions regarding the hidden meaning of those last two lines!

But moving on....

Also of note and found through the carnival was this post on a blog called So Many Books. I don't know about you, but I'm now eagerly waiting some Mad Lib poetry. She also had a fun quiz on her blog HERE. Like the blogger at so many books, I too was John Ashbery. This seemed to be the result of most people. Unfamiliar with the poet myself - but then poetry is not my forte. Courtesy of wikipedia...

Also, be sure to stay tuned for the week of April 24-30. It is national TV-Turnoff Week in the US.

And finally, for those of you who are enjoying following these things - according to Semicolon, the next Carnival will be held at a blog called Picturesque Life. I am unfamiliar with the blog but will be sure to check it out.

Read Alert's round up for the day has some juicy tidbits: JK Rowling likes Pink (the singer), Beverley Cleary turns 90 (previous info on this here) and stop the press! Harry Potter makes a lot of money!

The Magic of Books has a fun post on children`s books with stories that take place in libraries.

Fuse 8 has a fun post on a German book from the 1800s called Slovenly Peter. Apparently it has a bit of a cult following. You can check out some of the reviews at Amazon. In her post, she also takes another swipe at poor Robert Munsch's Love you Forever. We posted on the previous jibe here. If anyone has a defence for this poor book, please come forward! If you need further motivation, I remind you of recent commentary on it by one of Canada's leading political journalists.

That's it for now!

2 Comments:

At 9:31 PM, Blogger fusenumber8 said...

By the lack of comments I'll just assume that LYF has lost and I have won. Hooray!

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Louise said...

Yes - I didn't get around to that this weekend (had a bit of a break). However, on the Giving Tree, courtesy of my friend Krista (who isn't a blogger - although the one time she visited, she got all excited over the fact that the Giving Tree was listed as one of our favorite books):

"It just reminds you to stay grounded.

I don't know why I like it, I just do, I haven't read it in FOREVER, but when I do, I always cry. The tree is just like a really good friend that lets you walk all over them, but then when you come to your senses, it's still there to forgive you and help you."

She also had a comment on Rainbow Fish - she use to work for a production company that did a cartoon version of it which was apparently quite horrible.

Some of the lines:

"don't let Seaphilly** do it, she's just a girl"

"give me a (insert sea version of a shirley temple here), and make it a double"

**names have been changed because I have no clue what they actually are!

That's all I have for now.

Louise

 

Post a Comment

<< Home