Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Book discovery last week

I meant to post on this after circle last week - but then life happened and suddenly it's a week Monday.

Read a very good book with two of the kids at the Reading Circle last Saturday that I was previously unaware of. It's Stellaluna, by Jannell Cannon.



It's an older book - written in 1993 - but I really enjoyed it - as did the kids, so I thought I'd take a moment to tell you about it quickly.

Story in short - It's about a baby bat named Stellaluna whose life changes when an owl attacks one night separating her from her mother. Stellaluna is lucky enough to land in a bird's nest and is then raised by the mother bird along with her babies. However, she is only accepted if she acts like a bird and not like a bat (no hanging upside down!) Anyway, she learns the ropes and the story progresses until one day she bumps into bats again and learns that it is normal for bats to hang upside down. She introduces her bird siblings to this, and they find it very difficult - nice conversation about "How can we be so different and feel so much alike?" ensues. A nice message and beautiful pictures.

2 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger PJ Librarian said...

Oh how I love this book. This was also the first children's book gift my husband gave me. I had just finished reading it to a third grade class and fell in love with Stellaluna. Since then, my husband surprised me one day last year when he saw a DVD of the book on a clearance table at Borders. The DVD is good, but nothing like the book. Yeah for Stellaluna! The author has some other good ones like Verdi as well, but this is my favorite of hers.

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger lyndsaybee said...

I am terrified


...
of bats.

Let me know if there's ever a re-write involving a creature that doesn't squeak and swoop and get caught in my hair so much. (Opossums hang upside down, too, you know.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home