Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Edible books and Fibs

Kay these were just to two I found most entertaining. But in no particular order - this and that from the web:

Book Moot has a fun post on various different books she has recently had a chance to read aloud to children!

Read Alert informs us that last Saturday was Edible Books Day - coinciding nicely with April Fools. More fun photos here.



This is something I discovered both through Jen Robinson's book page and Fuse 8. New Blog of interest by one Gregory K called Gotta Book. Something called Fibs. Jen explains it quite well on her site, so I am about to borrow liberally (ie: verbatim):

They are poems based on the classic Fibonacci Sequence, in which you start with 0 and 1, and keep adding the previous two numbers together to get the next number. So you end up with 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, etc. Gregory proposes using the Fibonacci Sequence to build "a six line, 20 syllable poem with a syllable count by line of 1/1/2/3/5/8." He has some examples on his site here, especially in the comments section.

All quite fun.

Regarding the above Fuse 8 post, I am curious if anyone here has any defence for either The Giving Tree or I Love you Forever. Both came up at volunteer training as favorite children's books so somebody's gotta like 'em. And I feel obliged to point out the campaign power of the latter (although, Martin lost. Hmmmm - I see it now - Munsch brings down PM!). I just have to show the photo again.



Big A little a has a good post on books your parents want you to read. I know I still have untouched hard copy versions of various classics.

Jen Robinson has two further posts of note. One on another literary award and one linking to a fun iniative from the UK called the Neverending Story. Once you register, you can participate in writing stories and poems. For each continuing story, you can sign up to write the next page. The site editors select what they feel is the best submission, and post it on the website. The idea is to publish a book once the story reaches a sufficient length. Fun, fun!

Finally, the Magic of Books reminds us that it is Poetry Month in the US and offers some links of interest.

Louise

3 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Blogger fusenumber8 said...

I was intrigued to see that you ask for no defense of "Rainbow Fish". Nobody, for that matter, ever defends poor "Rainbow Fish".

 
At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Jen Robinson said...

Thanks for the links, Louise! It's nice to feel like someone else is out there, reading things that I post. I think that the Fibs are fun, too.

I have a niece who loves the Giving Tree, but I can't say that I quite see the appeal, myself.

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Louise said...

Jen, a pleasure as always. I actually check in on your blog most days. It's very well done.

As for the Giving Tree - I'm going to have to re-read it. It is one of my best friend's favorite children's books - so I've asked her for a defence and have yet to receive one. (Hmmmmm - not boding well for the poor Giving Tree...)

As for I Love you Forever, not one of my favorites in the Munsch collection - but I am a huge Robert Munsch fan.

And I am actually not familiar with Rainbow Fish.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home