Friday, April 07, 2006

Poetry Friday - Second Edition

So I mentioned last week that I may continue with this theme of Friday being poetry day. To recap for those of you thinking "Huh?" Kelly over at Big A little instituted this a few weeks back because kids don't read enough poetry. Jen Robinson has posted twice on the issue - again here today and A Chair, a Fireplace and a Tea Cosy has as well. I also feel obliged to point out that, of course, April is National Poetry Month, as the Magic of Books has pointed out a few times.

Anyway, I have two strains of thought on the issue today. One is related to Kelly's post from last week where she talks about the poem Monday's Child - I am, of course familiar with this as yet another poem my mom would recite - but the "days of the week" poem I always liked best was Solomon Grundy.

Solomon Grundy,
Born on a Monday,
Christened on Tuesday,
Married on Wednesday,
Took ill on Thursday,
Grew worse on Friday,
Died on Saturday,
Buried on Sunday.
That was the end of
Solomon Grundy.

I always liked the idea of a life happening in a week - although the days spread over years. Also, relating back to the previous poem, I guess Solomon Grundy was full of grace.

Wikipedia teaches me that it is a 19th century children's nursery rhyme presented by James Orchard Halliwell-Phillipps in 1842. Also, I learnt that those above are actually alternate words and that the poem also reads as follows:

Solomon Grundy, born on a Monday,
Christened on a stark and stormy Tuesday,
Married on a gray and grisly Wednesday,
Took ill on a mild and mellow Thursday,
Grew worse on a bright and breezy Friday,
Died on a gay and glorious Saturday,
Buried on a baking, blistering Sunday.
That was the end of Solomon Grundy.

I like the other better.

My second train of thought on poetry for this week is Girl Guide songs. I thought about what things poetic I remember most from childhood and they are songs more than poetry. But then, I think songs really are poetry - as various high school teachers told me in later years.

So, having spent 3 years as a girl guide (got the cord to prove it!) - I learnt an incredible number of songs which still take up brain cells today. Some of my favorites:

Barges

Out of my window looking in the night,
I can see the barges' flickering light.
Silently flows the river to the sea,
And the barges too go silently,

Chorus:
Barges, I would like to go with you;
I would like to sail the ocean blue.
Barges, have you treasures in your hold?
Do you fight with pirates brave and bold?

Out of my window looking in the night,
I can see the barges' flickering light.
Starboard shines green and port is glowing red,
I can see them flickering far ahead.

(amusingly - I also seem to remember bits and pieces of the spoof version of this taught to me by the older girls at summer camp. See! Poetry sticks!)

--------------------

Boom Chicka Boom

Boom chicka boom (crowd repeats)
I said a boom chicka-boom! (crowd repeats)
I said a boom-chicka-rocka-chicka-rocka-chicka-boom! (crowd repeats)
Uh huh! (crowd repeats)
Oh yeah! (crowd repeats)
One more time... (crowd repeats)
Someone shouts out a style. Choice could be:
Faster, slower, whisper, Southern, English, janitor style broom-chicka-broom... then broom-chicka-sweepa-chicka-sweepa-chicka-broom, valley girl style, photographer style, babystyle, underwater style, motorcycle style (vrooom chicka vroom).

(anything where you make silly sounds is fun!)

------------------

Black Socks

Black Socks, they never get dirty,
The longer you wear them the stronger they get!
Sometimes I think I should wash them
But something keeps telling me
No, no, not yet!

(not yet, not yet, not yet, not yet.....)

-----------------

Kookaburra

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree,
Merry merry king of the bush is he,
Laugh, kookaburra, laugh, kookaburra,
Gay your life must be, ha, ha, ha!

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree,
Eating all the gumdrops he can see,
Stop, kookaburra, stop, kookaburra,
Save some there for me, ha, ha, ha!

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree,
Counting all the monkeys he can see,
Stop, kookaburra, stop, kookaburra,
That's not a monkey, that's me, ha, ha, ha!

For more song resources check out this list.

I also tried to find the words of one of my favorites called "Magdalena Hagdalena" on the web but couldn't. It's possible I'm spelling it wrong, though.

And I think I'll leave that there for now.

Happy weekend!

Louise

3 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Blogger PJ Librarian said...

What a fun posting. The Kookaburra song is one I have been singing recently to my 13 month old. It is so funny and she seems to love the words. The Boom Chicka one reminds me of my daughters favorite book by Bill Martin Jr. Chicka Chicka ABC. Plus, I like the idea that songs are also poetry.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Louise said...

Thanks for the comment - I'll have to check out Chicka Chicka ABC. I love anything with silly sounds.

I'd actually forgotten about Kookaburra until I was surfing about some of the song sites and then I remembered how much I'd liked it.

Louise

 
At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The words to Magdalena Hagdalena are:
She was Magdalena, Hagdalena alka Talka, walka talka, Ocha mocha poka was her name.
1. She had 10 hairs on the top of her head. Five were alive and the other 5 were dead. (CHorus)
2. She had two eyes in the middle of her head, one was green and the other was read. (Chorus)
3. She had 2 ears on the side of her head and she took them off when she went to bed.n(chorus)
4. She had two teeth in the middle of her mouth. One pointed north and the other pointed south
5. She had two warts on the bottom of her chin. One turned out and the other turned in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home