Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Scrabble Night in Canada Update

Excerpts from a recent e-mail:

The last tiles have been counted, and the final score has been tallied. The SCRABBLE® Night in Canada Friends and Family Challenge raised approximately $20,000 in support of Frontier Colleges Literacy outreach activities!

....

The statistics are staggering:
- 42% of adult Canadians have trouble using reading and writing to participate in everyday life!
- Perhaps more shocking, 18% of grade 10 students in Ontario failed the mandatory literacy test last year.


With sincere thanks,
Barbara Fraser
Development Coordinator


PS. Cant wait for February to have another SCRABBLE® party? Our online fundraising tool is available to you all year long, so set up a summer SCRABBLE® party and help Frontier College spread literacy across Canada one word, one tile and one person at a time.

2 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi all. I'm sorry to post here but I can't for the life of me find an email clue on your site.

My name is Steve Barancik and for a couple months you've had a link to my site, http://www.best-childrens-books.com, and I'm much appreciative.

I'm putting a page on the site where children's book bloggers list their favorite books in a category of their own inventing. I'd love to have you participate.

You can check out the page now at http://www.best-childrens-books.com/childrens-book-blogs.html

There's a form at the bottom where you can submit. I'll hope to hear from you.

All the best,
Steve

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Louise said...

Hi Steve,

Yeah - our email is a bit hidden. It's listed on the Frontier College Ottawa Page with the rest of our contact info here (top link in the Main Links section). It's ottawa(at)frontiercollege.ca. We already get a lot of spam to it and thought giving the spammers one more place to pick our email up from would just make their job far too easy.

I just saw this today (Aug 28). I've been on a blogging break. At volunteer tutor training we usually have an icebreaker or section where we ask everyone what their favorite children's book is and why. Perhaps we can try to make a category out of that. I will give it some thought and pass it on to the rest of the group.

Thanks for posting and good luck with your initiative - I see you have a few lists already!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home